Windward House’s Green Valentines.
February is a special, lovable month. Our romantic Bed and Breakfast getaway definitely sees an increase in traffic this month. It is so pleasing to see the happy faces at the breakfast tables, both young and mature love. We have been honored to hear love stories of both newly engaged partners to those celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.
One special room at the B&B, the Windrose Suite, has a love note box from the Love Project. A young and in-love couple came to the Inn two years ago and left a beautiful wooden box and a request that you write a love letter to someone special and place it in the locked box, and one day they will publish it in a book about love. Two years later, it’s full of notes locked inside. I can only imagine what sweet nothings are in this box (http://aloveproject.net/A_Love_Project.php ).
I love all things love and have constructed this top ten Windward House Maine Valentine’s Day gift ideas. Since we are a green B&B I decided to make this a green valentine list.
1. A special gift from the downtown of Camden Maine: Dolan Geiman (DG) MINIS and Lovebird collection. These handmade & eco-friendly artworks by mixed media artist Dolan Geiman including paintings, collages, and BOX PRINT® reproductions on wood are sold in Glendarragh Farm Lavender Store 22 Main Street Camden Maine. http://www.etsy.com/people/dolangeiman?ref=ls_profile
2. Chocolate: Coastline Confections chocolate bars are all natural. Coastline Confections has no additives, preservatives, glazes, or waxes. The only thing they add to the chocolate is the essential flavors and ingredients to achieve a delicate flavor profile. I prefer the Lobsterman bar, dark Chocolate. Bitter. Rich. Belgian. http://www.coastlineconfections.com/Coastline_Confections/Coastline_Confections.html
3. Danica Candles : Add a little romance to the bedroom or the dinner table with candles. All of the Danica candles are made in Maine. They never use animal byproducts or lead, they only use naturally made beeswax, . The best waxes and cotton wicks made in the U.S.A. http://www.danicacandles.com/home.html
4. Jewelry from Russell’s of Camden : My favorite little jewelry store in Camden Maine. Russell and Paulette craft wonderful pieces of jewelry, right here in Camden Maine. http://www.russellsofcamden.com/index.htm
5. Oyster River Winery : Complete a perfect dinner menu with a wonderful local Maine wine: The Villager from Oyster River Winery represents a house style — off-dry, crisp, and aromatic. This blend of Seyval Blanc and Cayuga are fermented for three months at low temperatures for good fruit retention, then is filtered and bottled soon after to capture freshness and retain a bit of CO2. The wine has “fatness” on the mid-palate and a “leesy” character from extended contact with the yeast. http://www.oysterriverwinegrowers.com/
6. Dolcelinos: I was so happy when I discovered these little treats in the local grocery store. A caterer started making these treats for parties and they were so successful, she started to sell them in stores. The Dolcelino is designed after the Woopie Pie, and the ice cream sandwich. There is a wonderful outside cookie filled with a delicious, mousse-like frozen cream. I found this simple and fun dessert you can serve your sweetie. THE CHOCOLATE TURTLE: A little hot fudge on the plate, place a “topless” chocolate Dolcelino on top of the hot fudge, sprinkle pecans on top and drizzle with caramel sauce. http://www.dolcelinos.com/
7. Atlantica Seafood Bistro: We at Windward highly recommend the only Maine Green Leader certified restaurant in downtown Camden Maine. Atlantica will be open the month of February. Located on the dock overlooking the harbor, it is a sure way to please your valentine. http://www.atlanticarestaurant.com/
8. Swan Island Blankets : Warm up your sweetheart with a blanket or a scarf. Swans Island is a company and a community centered in Maine and determined to create objects of beauty and utility in authentic and earth-friendly ways. Swans Island rare wool blankets are made from naturally occurring brown and black sheep. These sheep aren’t common, and after three or four years, their fleeces tend to go grey, so they are only able to weave a limited number of rare brown and black wool blankets each year.
http://www.swansislandblankets.com/ Swan Island Blankets has free shipping until Feb. 28th, so if even if you don’t live in Maine, you can get these beautiful items.
9. Floral Greeting cards by Ann McKendry: Merryspring Park in Camden Maine sells these special hand crafted cards. Remember, sometimes the best gifts are simple. http://www.merryspring.org/
10. Special getaway at a “green” Bed and Breakfast: If you can take your love away for a night, I highly recommend making it a green getaway. Your partner will love you for being good to both him/her and the earth. http://www.maine.gov/dep/innovation/greencert/lodg_participants.htm