Travel Tips for Camden Maine
Camden Maine is a unique location and to optimize your time here, you should remember to bring some items with you. I created a Travel Tips fro Camden Maine list by thoughtfully thinking about the assets of Camden Maine and the truly worthwhile things to do while you are here. Camden Maine is a beautiful coastal village that is in between the mountains and the sea. The location of this village is unique in Maine and worth the visit. Because of the dynamic landscape of Camden, there are items you should bring with you. The downtown is condensed to basically one strip along Rt 1. This unique strip of a major North-South Highway that serves the East Coast has small opportunities for views of the world’s most beautiful harbor and the historic sailing vessels. Camden is a point in your trip along Rt 1 where you would like to stop and see the sights. Here is my list of 5 things you should have with you when traveling to or through Camden Maine. Please enjoy my Travel Tips for Camden Maine ! Top five things to bring to Camden Maine.
1. Good Shoes. There are 30 miles of hiking trails in the state park, Camden Hills. You can enter the park at several different points to trails with different views. You can choose to be in the canopy of the trees or to be on the “front” of the mountain that has open rock trails that have vistas of the open harbor and distance harbors. You can also choose to stay in one of the many lodgings around the harbor that are walking distance to the everything, shops, restaurants, hiking trails, kayak rentals, local beach and opera house. Hiking Trails in Camden Maine
2. A sweater. No matter what time of the year you are in MidCoast Maine, you will need a sweater at some point in the day. We call the breeze off the harbor a natural air conditioner. The good part of the natural breeze and cooling is that you can actually sleep with the windows open. If you forget a sweater, you can actually buy a beautiful new blanket at Swan Island Blankets, right in the downtown of Camden.
3. Boat China. Boat china are the items that a captain will allow you to bring on the boat so that you can enjoy your beverages and snacks. Plastic wine goblets, unbreakable champagne flutes, plastic plates and forks. You will definitely want to choose a sailing cruise while you are here. Getting on a historic, wooden sailing vessel is a must in Camden. The boats are good sizes, but sometimes in the wind, they do tilt and rock. It is best to have items that will not break. I grew up in a city and this boat china was new thing to me when I came here, but the longer you are here you realize how practical it is. You can also use it to go to the many picnic places there are in Camden. Picnics in the park or the head of the harbor are common. My favorite place to picnic is Laite Beach. It is a public small spot on the edge of the harbor with great views, picnic tables, and bathrooms. Our favorite boat for a sail around Camden Harbor: http://www.maineschooners.com/
4. Bring Cash and leave the AMEX card at home. You are going to want to have cash with you when coming to Maine. When you travel to Maine, along Rt 1 in Wiscasset, there is a small lobster shack that has the “best lobster rolls in Maine”. The little shack only takes cash and if you wait on a line for an hour got your lobster roll you are going to be disappointed when they do not take your credit card, I know, been there, done that. In addition to having cash you should leave the AMEX at home, Many small businesses in Maine can not afford the price to do business with AMEX. It is very common for restaurants and Inns not to accept American Express. Article about Red’s Eat’s
5. Bring your sense of humor and patience. When you come to Maine, you have to realize everything is slower. There is a true sense of relaxation and getting back to nature in Camden. The locals enjoy hiking, kayaking and all kinds of exercise. Stores might close early so the shop keeper can go meet her friends for a picnic in the park. Life is slower, the slogan, the way life is supposed to be.